Sunday, November 4, 2007

Wedding Flaws

A few days ago was my brothers wedding, jam packed with family and friends. Everyone made their best effort to come down except for my mothers sister. She said that she was too busy with church events to attend. Growing up I always assumed that religion had a lot to do with family and strengthening that relationship within the group. I was completely appalled to hear that she found that church events were more important then her sisters' sons marriage. Maybe its because I'm not in the church so I don't understand the importance of these events but I can't imagine what could be going on at the beginning of November that would take precedence over this event. The cover could be caused by my aunt knowing that the ceremony wouldn't be held in a church as a traditional wedding. How could someone create this barrier between their family because of a disagreement of religious beliefs? Religious differences between family members shouldn't create walls between people. There should be understanding and compassion for your loved ones and eventually acceptance. My aunt has separated herself from those who don't share her beliefs, which has caused her to be completely non-accepting of others. I fear that this happens too often between communities and in families. The whole idea of love thy neighbor is interpreted by them as to surround themselves with people who share their church, so that no disputes will be made.

1 comment:

Paul Devitto said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope the rest of the wedding went out without a hitch (well, except for the one important one of course).

One thing I think I'm failing to convey in this class is how powerful religious convictions can be. But such things even occur in religious texts. In the Gospels, we see Jesus saying that he's come to set family member against family member. Now I don't take the view that he actually said this - I have no idea. But what's interesting is that this notion already pops up early on in the Christian tradition. I think it's unfortunate, of course. In my own experience, religion has played both a positive and, sometimes, negative role. It certainly adds a dimension of unexpected 'color' to life.