Monday, November 26, 2007

Scared places

US Weekly published an article about the most sacred places on the planet. These of course are chosen for their religious correlation. I think its interesting what makes a place scared. An event or experience that occurs at some place can hold this drastic effect on those who viewed the event as important. I think scared places can be evident for anyone from having an influential event occur in specific spot. Such as those who go on a romantic get away, that place will always have a significant meaning to the person. Therefore i think it is unfair to say that only certain places are truly scared, but instead only to those who believe in its significance. I know for me I would never be tempted to travel to the areas the magazine listed for the significance behind the area doesn't appeal to me for my lack of beliefs. But if I could go back to the place where i grew up as a child or my elementary school I would be overwhelmed with feeling and emotion. My point is that we cannot choose scared places for the mass but instead for the religious mass. People will find their own scared spots in relation to what they value, everyone being different it is hard to narrow it down into a few locations. I think Americans value the white house being our nations capitol, this being why it attracts so many tourists. Jewish young adults travel to Jerusalem for its religious significance. US Weekly shouldn't have been so bold as to say that everyone agreed on the most scared places in the world for their religious affiliation.

No comments: