Monday, November 5, 2007

Religion for Love

Last week in class there was a news article presented about a couple in which one had to change their religion to be married to the person they fell in love with. The problem is that religious beliefs can't be so easily converted, the true beliefs can't be constructed from nowhere. These beliefs need to be accepted by a person and incorporated into their life to show their true devotion to the idea. If one agrees to become part of the church as to be able to get married, this is worse as being a lie. I don't understand how the family and church could accept this person knowing that the sole reason she has joined the church is to be allowed marriage. I would think that either there would be some extreme conviction that would be made by the person or else they wouldn't allow it. referring to 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' the man was baptized into the Greek orthodox church to be able to marry one of the members. Once he was baptized he was accepted by the family and church as if his whole belief system had changed. I just don't understand the difference. People that accept this must not take much pride in their beliefs if they think it only takes one ceremony to convert a persons set beliefs.
Personally if I was put in the situation of choosing to let the love of my life go or joining some church so that the marriage was allowed I would do it. It would probably be the only day I attend the church but if that is the only way I can be with that person then its not that big of a step. The only thing that would prevent me from doing it would be if my being part of the church separated me from my family. My family is the one thing that I will always put first, no man or religion could tear me away from them.

No comments: