Friday, October 26, 2007

Religion in School

Recently I received a call from an old high school friend that I hadn't spoken to for about five years. Being a Mormon she attended Brigham Young University in which she told me about some of the religious influence it has had on her life. Pert of the reason it had been so long since we talked was because she went on a mission where she was only allowed to contact her family twice a year, on Christmas and mother's day. She was one of few women to go on a mission, usually the men go although none of her three brothers did. At the university she explained that things are very different. The school strongly encourages dating. She was surprised to hear that I have asked a man out, apparently this is foreign there. The whole culture in the school is based around the religion, including mandatory church attendance. Although her lifestyle could never suit me I respect that she is fully committed and values her beliefs.
Another childhood friend was Christian and attended Bob Jones University. Her sister previously attended the college and settled down shortly afterwards. A few summers ago she told me about the regulations the school has. When she moved into her dorm all of her belongings were searched for material that could be considered inappropriate. Such as posters of girls in bikini's or music will foul words. Dating was also encouraged at this school. She once told me that if she sat at lunch with just her and a man then it was considered a "date."
I just think its odd that these religious schools focus on creating marriages between their students. Of course everyone at these places uphold the same religious beliefs so a union would be more appropriate. It seems to me that these places segregate themselves as if trying to avoid scrutiny or questioning from others. I don't understand how some people can have a belief but are not willing to debate about other opinions and options. Its as if they want to create their own communities where outside influence doesn't have to be tolerated.

No comments: