Monday, November 19, 2007

Click

Today I watched the movie Click, which poses a very interesting idea. In the movie the man was given a remote control that would control hos world. Not only the options of pause, mute or fast forward were used but also there was a main menu. In the main menu the person could skip to any part of their lives to watch what happened. Although this is a little like playing God at the same time the man was unable to control the remote control, given to him by the angel of death. Auto-pilot got the better of him and fast forwarded him through the bad parts of his life. Ultimately he missed out on all the good little things that make up for the bad.
What I don't understand is why he never thought to hit rewind during the times when he wanted to go back to the past...but maybe it didn't work that way.
I really like this movie for i think it poses an interesting idea. What I got out of seeing the movie is that we are unable to pick out the parts of our lives that are important to our being. We cannot chose which experiences will affect our lives, therefore if we were to try we would mess up and completely change who we are and what we would become. I know that for myself I have a hard enough time making any choices about my life that if I had to try to structure it on my own it would be too much for me. Many of the bad experiences I've had I may not have chosen to go through although they shaped my character and the lessons I've learned are priceless.
The movie Bruce Almighty has a similar theme, a man is granted with god's powers. This story is a little more intense for he has to take on the role of God for his whole city. The same ending is reached that we don't like having so much control and that the power always ends up destroying ourselves. We are not capable of being all powerful, I believe its because we aren't all knowing. The knowledge is what really distinguishes the good and bad decisions.

No comments: