Sunday, October 21, 2007

Reincarnation

Could we really have past lives? When I was little I was sure that I was a man in my past life. I remember one time at age four or five lifting the toilet seat to go to the bathroom. Then I thought why I had done it, coming to the conclusion that it seemed natural. Another thought of my childhood was that once someone died they were able to go back through their lives and find out all of the mysteries. Such as you would have the chance to ask questions with them all being answered. Then in your next life you would be able to learn from what happened in your previous ones. At this time my idea was that I would ask what happened to my favorite shirt, this being very important question at the time. I think myself as a child was more curious and thoughtful about what happens after death then the present. I was so sure of it back then, like without a doubt that was what happens. I'm not sure I ever discussed it with anyone, since my opinion wasn't highly acknowledged back then. I think now I don't believe it but I would like to. I would love to be able to find out what happened to people, or why certain things occurred. Although now I would find more meaningful questions to ask then just where my old shirt went. It reminds me of a movie, "Defending your life" where after death there was a judgment on weather you would move on or relive life on Earth. They would review instances in your life and evaluate how you dealt with them. This somewhat relates to a Buddhist belief, being reincarnated until you reach enlightenment. I think this belief would take away from the specialness of each individuals existence. Knowing that you are not created from your parents but they are just a pathway. Such as if they never had you someone else would have. I like to think that nobody else could have been my parents and I am only who I am because I am their decedent. Therefore I must reject the idea of reincarnation even though there seems to be some sort of evidence for it. The choosing of the new Dalai Lama seems too unlikely to be explained as any other possibility.

No comments: