Monday, September 17, 2007

Death

a) Relate the death of a loved one or friend and the main emotions you
felt as a result of his or her death. (An option may be to remember a funeral
you attended and relate what happened there.).


Death is my only real connection with religion. I care what happens to my loved ones when they pass away. More recently this has impacted me due to the death of all my grandparents within two years. All I could feel was shock, to lose someone that was so connected to your being was the toughest thing I have ever been through. I felt like I lost self identity, self confidence and some of my sense of belonging. Without growing up with a religious background I found that in my family is where I felt my core. I identified everything in myself with those people related to me.
The most difficult death was of my hero, my grandmother. My fathers mom was the most amazing person I ever knew. Growing up I viewed her as indestructible, but at she got older and sicker I never lost that sense that she was above death. The day she died I was completely lost in life, I lost the reason to become the person I always wanted to be. Over a period of time I realized that she would have wanted the same things for me after her death as she did while she was still alive. I try my best now to honor those wishes and try to become somewhat like the person she was. The idea of her is spiritual to me, it is what I value the most.
During her death I would say I had the most thoughts about religion and what was to happen once we pass on. I believe that although many of my family members have passed on they still have an influence in this world by the way they impacted us. I can't explain what I believe will happen after death. All I know is that there is nothing to be scared of and that I hope to influence someone else as greatly as those before me have impacted me.

1 comment:

Paul Devitto said...

Losing a loved one is a very difficult thing to have to go through. I remember when I lost a close uncle, it was a devastating thing for me. I really didn't know what to think and it felt like my whole world was thrashed to pieces.

I also remember losing friends. I lost one friend in a car accident with a drunk driver. At the time, what was so horrible was that I was angry at her for being late. When I found out she had died in the circumstances in which she did, I thought I might die myself from shame.

One of the most difficult times I've been through recently was the loss of my philosophy teacher, D.Z. Phillips. He wasn't just another teacher with whom you take classes and then you move on; he was my mentor and a friend. I remember one of the things that he taught us. He'd say, 'there's only one thing that can compare to the will of God and that's the will of the dead'. He'd say it in a Welsh accent, so it had a kind of continuous resonant quality to it. I think there's much to that idea though. It might have something to do with knowing what the passed loved one would have wanted had s/he been alive. I think what's important here isn't so much the religion, but remembrance.